Footbridge is a brand new, fast paced, multi-disciplinary, high volume orthopaedic and sports medicine clinic – home to several surgeons, specialist physicians, physiotherapists, imaging and orthotics/bracing specialists. Our mission is to provide a compassionate and efficient patient-experience starting from the initial consultation through to follow-up and related care. We are looking for a friendly and organized Surgical Coordinator to join the Footbridge team.
Visit: www.footbridgeclinic.com for more information.
The Surgical Coordinator works under the direct supervision of the Managing Director and indirectly reports to the physician(s) he/she provides with support. As a member of the Footbridge team, the Surgical Coordinator will work in cooperation with other clinic staff to ensure safe and effective patient care, in compliance with Footbridge standards and protocols. The Surgical Coordinator performs administrative duties relevant to surgical operations. This position includes surgery scheduling, appointment reminders, keeping patient records, entering post-surgical data and scheduling surgical equipment. Surgical Coordinator will manage incoming and outgoing phone calls and emails. In order to complete the administrative tasks related to surgery, the Surgical Coordinator manages all surgical documents, gathers and inputs patient information, and enters all post-surgery data. They ensure that all pre-surgery paperwork is completed in time for the patient’s appointment and they work closely with local health authorities and multiple hospitals. The Surgical Coordinator helps ensure adequate preparation for surgery and answers patient questions or address concerns beforehand. They help prepare by ensuring that necessary equipment is scheduled for surgery and the patient is advised of necessary post op equipment need after surgery. Surgical Coordinators need the ability to schedule emergency and add-on surgeries. This requires an understanding of scheduling procedures for surgeries, such as how long a surgery will take and how much time to allot for set-up and turnaround, and to administer surgery schedules to appropriate medical staff.
- Duties include but are not limited to booking patients for clinic and surgery appointments, coordinating and following up on laboratory and imaging tests, communicating with families over telephone/email, record keeping and filing, coordinating meetings, managing the surgeon’s academic, clinical and research schedules.
- Receives and processes requests for surgical procedures and coordinates with physicians.
- Develops and updates surgical waitlists and slates using computerized surgical scheduling systems.
- Edits surgical slate – identifying errors or conflicts, assigning extra cases, adjusting slate, confirms final booking assignments with designated personnel.
- Determines appointment priority and schedules patients using appropriate electronic scheduling application.
- Communicates and collaborates with Admitting, nursing units, surgeons, surgical assists and other departments.
- Receives and processes booking requests for diagnostic and medical treatment procedures.
- Works closely with Physician / Surgeon Offices, nursing units and partner departments to identify and address any scheduling conflicts.
- Ensures all required documentation is provided and prepares patient charts in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
- Schedules appointments and booking times, determining priority by reviewing and evaluating patient information such as patient history, test results and pertinent reports, in consultation with other modalities and departments.
- Acting as a communication link; arranging for patient tests, entering diagnostic requisitions, and receiving results; assembling and maintaining patient charts.
Skills & Qualifications
- Medical Office Assistant Diploma, Healthcare Administrative Diploma or equivalent education/experience is required
- 3 years current experience working within a surgical office model
- Experience with an Electronic Health Record
- Working knowledge of CERNER scheduling system
- Strong MS Office application skills including Word, Excel, and Outlook and e-fax
- Knowledge and current experience with Wait Time requirements and data management
- Experience using EMR to communicate with the Ministry of Health an asset
- Experience working within a surgical practice environment including but not limited to orthopaedic patients
- Current knowledge and experience using medical terminology in a surgical setting
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality as per the organizational guidelines
- Ability to work well under pressure and use good judgment in assessing difficult situations
- Ability to produce high quality accurate work in accordance with Hospital standards
- Comprehensive knowledge of health care, organizational/office practices, procedures and standards
- Excellent professional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in an inter-professional team
- Excellent organizational and time management skills well developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to handle multiple duties
- Proven attendance record
- Plays a significant role in ensuring that the overall surgical booking requirements are met.
- Applies critical thinking and uses current knowledge of procedure protocols and computerized systems to schedule and assign patients/procedures to the daily surgical bookings
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience working with Input Health electronic medical record system,
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience,
- Knowledge of orthopaedic medical terminology,
- Experience working in another fast-paced, multi-disciplinary medical environment,
This is a full-time position and requires an individual who can work flexible hours if necessary.
All patients and team members are required to wear provided medical grade masks and hand washing/sanitizing along with physical distancing is established.